I don’t know about you, but my favorite time of year is now. I LOVE the Fall!! I love the changing of colors, the cooler weather, fall fashion, kids back to school and the different kinds of food you only get to prepare in cooler weather. At my house when the temperature starts getting cooler out comes the slow cookers. With the kids back in school, after school activities, homework, and a number of other things that keeps this busy family on the move, it is awesome to come home after a busy day and have dinner cooked and ready to put on the table.
One of my favorite things to cook in my slow cooker all sorts of soups and stews. They are simple and easy meals to throw into the slow cooker right before I head out the door in the morning. By the time we all get home I have a healthy hearty meal ready to go, that my entire family will enjoy. One of my families favorite meals during the fall is BBQ Chicken over Apple Maple Beans. Not only do we enjoy it that night, but it makes a great lunch for the next day.
One of my favorite things about making soups and stews is that we are able to stretch our dollar. They do not cost that much to make and they are great as leftovers for school and work lunches. We are also able to enjoy these meals through out the week.
To find your favorite fall chicken soup recipes click here: http://www.chicken.ca/recipes/cat/12/soup-and-stews and here: http://www.chicken.ca/recipes/cat/15/slow-cooker
You just may find a new favorite fall meal for your family to fall in love with.
- 2 cans maple baked beans
- 2 apple(s), skin on, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion(s), sliced
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce, (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh
- Pour canned maple beans into bottom of crock of slow cooker. Cut apples in quarters and core. Slice the apples and onion and stir into the canned beans.
- Top beans with skinless chicken breasts placed bone-side down on the beans. Cut chicken breasts in half if you want smaller pieces.
- Mix together ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard and hot sauce in a bowl. Use a spoon and spread evenly over top of chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle dried or fresh thyme over chicken. Cook on LOW heat 6-8 hours (or HIGH 3-4 hours). If you use boneless chicken instead it will take less time to cook.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and set aside on a large plate. Don’t pile them on top of each other as it ruins the BBQ sauce topping. Stir the liquid into the beans. Place the beans on a serving platter and top with the BBQ chicken pieces. If you are being informal you might just eat out of the pot!